Explore: Burlington, VT Here, There, and Everywhere
The Inn is conveniently located within walking distance to Burlington's Church Street Marketplace with its many shops, restaurants and galleries. Burlington's Flynn Theater plays host to countless events throughout the year including off-Broadway theater productions and nationally acclaimed performers. Walk down to the Burlington Waterfront to enjoy the boardwalk or rent a bike for the day and explore the Burlington Bike Path and Island Line Trail. The Shelburne Museum is just seven miles from the Inn, and a number of golf courses, ski resorts, and other attractions are within an hour's drive making the Willard Street Inn the perfect home base for your next Vermont getaway.
Ideas to Get you Started
There are way too many things to do in and around Burlington to list here. So below are just a few to give you a compass bearing to start planning your proper Vermont experience:
- SEVEN DAYS >> Vermont's alternative weekly newspaper. This is the go-to resource for locals and tourists alike. For everything music, culture, and food, if it is happening in Burlington or Vermont Seven Days has you covered.
- LAKE CHAMPLAIN REGIONAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE >> Our local chamber of commerce is fantastic. It is a wonderful source of information about Burlington and Vermont's Lake Champlain Region. From vacation planning to area relocation information this is your information headquarters, make sure to check it out.
- LOCAL MOTION >> Supporting people-power transportation is what this local non-profit is all about. Want to rent a bike? Check out their shop right on the Burlington Bike Path. Want hiking information? Check out their Trail Finder (also works for cycling routes, etc). Or come colder months find information on great XC skiing.
- ENTERTAINMENT & LIVE MUSIC: With entertainment venues of all shapes and sized scattered around Burlington, VT there is rarely a shortage of shows to experience most nights of the week.
- Higher Ground Music >> Located a short cab ride or drive from the Inn this venue has live music and entertainment most nights of the week. Be sure to check their calendar to see what bands or comedians are performing.
- Flynn Center for the Performing Arts >> Offering a wide range of carefully selected entertainment from world-class music, to dance and off-Broadway performances. These are often rare opportunities available in only a limited number of major cities in the United States.
- Nectars >> This local music mecca is known for the spinning, neon sign that graces the build's front, you can't miss it. From performances by staples of the local music scene, to weekly pub-quiz, and of course bands on tour, you are sure to find entertainment most nights of the week. Don't forger to check out their sister club just upstairs Metronome.
- Radio Bean >> This coffeehouse and smaller music venue is your guaranteed location for live music every night of the week. Be sure to check out local music legend Brett Hughes every week at Honky Tonk Tuesday. If you get hungry while there be sure to check out their connected restaurant Duino Duende for a taste of intentionally inspired street food.
- Arts Riot >> This venue's motto is "Destroy Apathy," and with their engaging and diverse schedule they certainly live it. Focusing on community engagement and expression through art, music, and food their ever-changing calendar is bound to have something to entice.
Highlight Events by Month
- February: Burlington Winter Festival >> Featuring Vermont State Snow Carving Competition and "Ice Walk" on the Church Street Marketplace and lots more - First week in February.
- April-May: Seven Days- Vermont Restaurant Week >> This week long event organized by Seven Days highlights the culinary excellence of the state of Vermont. From specials and food based pub-quiz, to pre-fixe menus and educational workshops and classes there is sure to be a smile on your face as you eat and experience your way through this event.
- May: Annual Essex Spring Craft & Fine Art Show >> Held at the Champlain Valley Exposition in Essex Jct. Celebrate spring with 200+ artisans from across the U.S. and Canada. Traditional, contemporary and country crafts, folk art, fine art, gourmet specialties and live entertainment. Admission good for re-entry on all days.
- May: People’s United Bank Vermont City Marathon & Marathon Relay >> Ranked as one of the 20 best marathon events in the country. This marathon and marathon relay event accepts around 8,000 entries. Live music, food and over 30,000 spectators line this award-winning scenic Burlington course.
- June: Burlington Discover Jazz Festival >> For ten days in June the city of Burlington, Vermont, transforms into a jazz oasis. Discover intimate venues, concerts under the stars, cruises on Lake Champlain, workshops and lectures from world-renowned artists and the sound of America’s homegrown art form on every corner.
- June: Vermont Food and Wine Festival >> Pairing Vermont’s best farm-to-table products with world-class wines. This event features educational classes, tastings, and music that will speak to your oenophile at heart, whether you knew it was there or not.
- June: Lake Champlain International Fishing Derby >> Held right here on Lake Champlain is the oldest and largest, freshwater fishing derby in the U.S.
- July: Vermont Brewers Festival >> A massively popular event for the whole New England Region. Celebrate artisan craft beers and their brewers from Vermont and beyond. This event sells out quickly each year so makes sure to plan ahead so you can experience this not to missed festival.
- October: Annual Essex Fall Craft & Fine Art Show >> Held at the Champlain Valley Exposition in Essex Jct. Celebrate Fall with 200+ artisans from across the U.S. and Canada. Traditional, contemporary and country crafts, folk art, fine art, gourmet specialties and live entertainment. Admission good for re-entry on all days.
- September: Grand Point North Music Festival >> Presented each year by Vermont's own Grace Potter and Higher Ground Music, this two-day music festival on the shores of Lake Champlain in Burlington's Waterfront Park is definitely a favorite among music lovers from both near and far.
A bit outside and around Burlington:
Burlington and the Willard Street Inn is a great home base for your Vermont experience. Take a foliage drive up through Stowe, VT or Smuggler's Notch (recommended routes available at the front desk, just ask). Or explore the beautiful Champlain Islands for lunch, sample some of Vermont's award winning beers, your Innkeepers and our staff would love to share ideas and suggestions.
BEER AND SPIRITS:
- Vermont Brewers Passport >> If beer is your thing, Vermont has you covered. With so many awards bestowed on Vermont breweries from FiddleHead Brewery, to Hill Farmstead, to The Alchemist, to Lawson's Finest Liquids, to 14th Star, to Lost Nation, to Zero Gravity... on and on the list goes. From big IPA's for "Hop-heads" to more unique styles like Gosé, your tastes buds will be truly blessed by our Vermont brewers.
- Vermont Wine Passport >> Fruit wines, to meads, to grape wines, to ice ciders you're sure to find something to please an oenophile's palate on this list of 21 wineries compiled by the Vermont Grape and Wine Council. Check out the interactive map to help plan your route.
- Shelburne Museum >> One of the world's great collections of American folk art, artifacts and architecture. Nestled on 45 scenic acres with 37 exhibit buildings and 80,000 artifacts, diversity delights at this national treasure. Hands-on activities, crafts and art projects daily during July and August. This museum falls into the category of "can't miss," there is something for everyone.
- Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce >> Find information on local and regional events, attractions and restaurants. Make sure to check out the amazingly picturesque Champlain Islands.
- Vermont Teddy Bear Company >> Delight in the whimsical world of the Vermont Teddy Bear Company. Take a fun-filled tour and watch teddy bears come to life before your eyes. Browse for gifts in the Bear Shop and create your own teddy in the "Make a Friend For Life" fun factory. This is a magical place where teddy bears and memories are crafted for a lifetime.
- Lake Champlain Ferries >> Enjoy a ferry ride on beautiful Lake Champlain, the most direct route between Vermont and the Adirondacks and, as a round-trip foot passenger, also a fantastic way to watch a spectacular Lake Champlain sunset. Come aboard!